|Birth name||Charles Penniman|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California|
|Genres||West Coast Hip Hop|
|Labels||Blu Division, Hoo-Bangin', Cash Money, Universal Motown|
|Associated acts||Mack 10, Birdman, Jay Rock, Red Cafe, The Cataracs|
Glasses Malone grew up in the Watts and Compton neighborhoods of Los Angeles County. His mother served 25 years in prison for selling narcotics, and Malone was himself a former gang member and hustler.
Traditionally associated with The Black Wall Street Records despite the fact that most the artists on the record label were Bloods, Malone signed with Sony Records for 1,700,000 dollars in 2005, turning down offers from many labels like Def Jam Records, Interscope Records, J Records, Black Wall Street Records and Atlantic Records. Glasses Malone was found by the same record executive that found The Game. Along with his signing, he was also given his own imprint, Blu Division. G. Malone debuted with mixtapes The Crack Mixtape (2003) and White Lightnin...Sticks (2005). White Lightnin...Sticks sold 30,000 copies and included the popular street single "Two Hunned".
Glasses Malone appeared in the music video for Tha Dogg Pound's single "Cali Iz Active' and also makes a cameo appearance in the Tech N9ne video "Like Yeah". He also appeared on the soundtrack to Madden 2007 with a song called "Right Now" which was produced by Scott Storch. On August 4, 2006 Glasses Malone appeared on MTV's You Hear It First.
Malone's first album, Beach Cruiser, was originally scheduled to come out on February 20, 2007. However, due to a change in record labels, Malone signed a new deal with Cash Money Records and Hoo-Bangin' Records and his album release scheduled tentatively for April 2008. Two singles from the album debuted in 2008: "Certified" featuring Akon and "Haterz" featuring Birdman and Lil Wayne. His album has now been pushed back to January 1, 2010 and there is now a new single, "Sun Come Up" featuring T-Pain, Rick Ross, and Birdman, as well as two new mixtapes before the album drops according to Dubcnn.
- Street albums
- 2009: Nightmare On Seven Street</small>
|U.S. R&B||U.S. Rap|
|2007||"Certified" (featuring Akon)||85||24||Beach Cruiser|
|2008||"Haterz" (featuring Birdman & Lil Wayne)||—||—|
|2009||"Sun Come Up" (featuring Birdman, Rick Ross & T-Pain)||94||—|
|2010||"I Get Doe" (featuring The Cataracs)||—||—|
|The Crack Mixtape
|White Lighting (Sticks)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ "Shifting Gears". Rides. 2008-05-05. http://www.rides-mag.com/online/?p=1651.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Cordor, Cyril (2008). "Glasses Malone > Biography". allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:wcfoxq9dld0e~T1. Retrieved 2009-05-17.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Weinstein, Farrah (2006-08-04). "Glasses Malone". You Hear It First (MTV News). http://www.mtv.com/news/yhif/g_malone/. Retrieved 2007-04-26.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 "Glasses Malone signs a 1.7 Million Dollar deal with Sony Urban Music Group and Big Ego Entertainment". http://www.raptalk.net/news/GlassesMalonesignsa1.7MillionDollardealwithSonyUrb.php. Retrieved 2006-08-25.
- ↑ Underground Soldiers - MochaCityTV - Music Videos, Movie Trailers and Original Shows
- ↑ http://dubcnn.com/ G. Malone, Bun B, Weezy, Kam & Akon Are "Certified" - March 17, 2008 By : Nima
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/esearch/chart_display.jsp?cfi=367&cfgn=Singles&cfn=Hot+R%26amp%3BB%2FHip-Hop+Songs&ci=3093281&cdi=9724133&cid=04%2F12%2F2008
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/esearch/chart_display.jsp?cfi=370&cfgn=Singles&cfn=Hot+Rap+Tracks&ci=3091782&cdi=9675991&cid=02%2F23%2F2008